How can I make a stronger password?
It is important to have a password that is easy to remember, but hard to guess.
Hackers can guess your password if it is a name or word from the dictionary.
The best password will contain the following:
- At least two Capital letters
- At least one lower-case letter
- At least one number e.g.0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
- At least two symbols e.g.! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) +< > ? /
Writing down your password is the most common security risk. But imagining and then remembering such a password can be difficult.
To achieve a great password:
- Start with a really simple word or name at least 9 letters long. I will use my name: eacdirectory
- Change two letters to symbols that looks similar. Use @ for a, ! for i, and so on: e@cd!rectory
- Change a letter to a number that looks similar. Use 0 for o, 4 for d, and so on: e@c4!rect0ry
- Include two Capital letters, like this: E@c4!rect0rY
Great! Now you have a password that is easy to remember, but hard to guess. It is acceptable to make a few different passwords and reuse them for different sites and devices. Just be sure that you don't reuse your most important passwords.